Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain is a premium, high performance stain specially designed to give you full control over the staining process and help you achieve beautiful results on a variety of surfaces including wood, veener, fiberglass and metal.
- Professional, gelled formula delivers uniform color.
- Unique, non-drip formula makes application easy on vertical surfaces, for both interior and exterior projects.
- Gives fiberglass and metal doors the rich look of natural wood.
- Designed to work with Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane.
FOR WOOD PROJECTS
|Application Tool:||brush or cloth|
|Location:||interior or exterior* wood surfaces
(* for exterior wood application, surface must be top-coated with Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane, according to label instructions)
|Dry Time:||24 hours|
|Coverage:||200 sq. ft. per quart|
|Coats:||1 coat. To darken the color, apply a second coat after 8-10 hours.|
|Recommended Uses:||woodwork, furniture, doors, molding, trim, cabinets, accessories|
Directions Instrucciones en Español
WARNING! Removal of old paint by sanding, scraping or other means may generate dust or fumes that contain lead. Exposure to lead dust or fumes may cause brain damage or other adverse health effects, especially in children or pregnant women. Controlling exposure to lead or other hazardous substances requires the use of proper protective equipment, such as a properly fitted respirator (NIOSH approved) and proper containment and cleanup. For more information, call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (in US) or contact your health authority.
FOR WOOD PROJECTS
- Surface must be dry, clean, and free of dirt, grease, glue, and any existing coatings before staining.
- Sand the wood in the direction of the grain using a fine-grade sandpaper (#220) until smooth. Remove all sanding dust.
- To help ensure uniform acceptance of stain color and beautiful results, pretreat the wood with Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner following label directions.
Product Preparation And Color Testing:
- Stir Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain until creamy before and occasionally during use. Do not thin.
- Always test stain on a scrap piece or hidden area of the wood to verify desired color.
- Apply a liberal amount of stain evenly with a brush or clean cloth.
- Wait 3 minutes and remove the excess stain with a clean cloth, wiping in the direction of the grain. Allow to dry 8-10 hours.
- To darken the color, apply additional coats of Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain repeating directions for application of first coat. Allow the stain to dry 8-10 hours between coats. Do not sand between coats of stain.
Clear Protective Finish Application:
After 24 hours (dry time may be extended due to heavy application, low temperatures or high humidity), complete your project by applying a clear protective finish. For interior or exterior wood surfaces, use Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane, according to label directions. For interior projects, you can also use any Minwax® clear protective finish.
FIBERGLASS DOOR PROJECTS
For ease of staining and finishing, it is recommended that you finish the door before installation.
- Make sure the door surface is free of all dirt and foreign matter.
- Stir Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain until creamy before use and occasionally during use.
- Using a high quality natural bristle brush, spread a thin, even coat over the entire surface, starting with the raised panel sections. Always make final brush strokes in the direction of the embossed grain. Areas of heavier coats should be evened out before moving to a new section.
- Allow stain to dry approximately 6 to 8 hours.
- To darken the color, apply additional coats by following the instructions above. Let the stain dry 6 to 8 hours between coats.
Clear Protective Finish Application:
- Be sure to apply a clear protective finish such as Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane for interior/exterior use or Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane for interior applications.
- Before applying a clear finish, test the stain for dryness by wiping a small hidden area with a rag moistened with mineral spirits. If the last coat of stain can be removed with mineral spirits, do not apply a clear protective finish. Wait until the stain is completely dry.
- Allow the finish to dry at least 6 hours before installing or closing the door to avoid sticking.
- For exterior applications, apply a coat of clear protective finish every 12-24 months to keep the door looking beautiful.
METAL DOOR PROJECTS:
- You will need: a graining tool, clean, dry, lint-free cloths, and clean, dry synthetic brushes. (Practice with the graining tool on a piece of scrap following the instructions in Step 3 until you feel comfortable using it.)
- Most metal doors come already primed, but usually not in the color you should be starting with.
- Select an oil-based base coat tinted to match the light tone in the wood you're trying to create.
- Then, mask all areas, such as glass, that you do not wish to stain and remove all hardware and doorknobs. Clean the surface with a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to remove all dust, grease and dirt.
- Apply a thin layer of the base coat paint to the entire door and allow it to dry thoroughly.
- Plan to work on the door in separate vertical and horizontal sections. Mask off the horizontal sections as you work on the vertical sections. The vertical sections need to be masked off when working on the horizontal sections. Each section must be completely dry before either removing or applying masking tape.
- Select a Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain color that corresponds to the darkest color of the wood grain you are trying to create.
- Test stain on hidden area to verify desired color.
- Apply a thin, even coat of Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain to a section using a natural bristle brush or a soft, lint-free cloth. Apply in the direction of the grain you intend to create.
- While the Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain is wet, use a graining tool to create a wood grain pattern.
- Apply downward pressure while moving the graining tool across the section at a constant speed. Use a long, steady, non-stop stroke -- rocking the tool one rotation as you move from beginning to end. Keep the graining tool clean by wiping it often with a rag or paper towel between strokes.
- Repeat the above steps section by section.
- Not satisfied? Either wipe the surface clean or re-brush the area and start over again. Wet or tacky Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain can be removed easily with a rag moistened with mineral spirits.
- To complete the graining process, wait until the first coat of Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain is completely dry (24-48 hours), then apply a second coat of Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain with a natural bristle brush in the direction of the grain pattern created. Work section by section as you did before. There is no need to mask off any sections.
- While the Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain is wet, you’ll want to use a clean, dry synthetic brush to remove the excess stain and create a uniform look. Use long brush strokes in the direction of the grain and remove the Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain from the brush as it begins to accumulate using paper towels or a rag. The amount of Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain left on will determine the depth of color.
Helpful Hints: On metal doors, use masking tape to mask off areas where sections meet. Let the section dry to the touch before working on a section next to it. This ensures a clean, straight edge where panels meet.
COVERAGE: Approximately 200 square feet per quart.
CLEANUP: Use mineral spirits or paint thinner following manufacturer's safety instructions.
DANGER: Rags, steel wool, other waste soaked with this product, and sanding residue may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately place rags, steel wool, other waste soaked with this product, and sanding residue in a sealed, water-filled metal container. Dispose of in accordance with local fire regulations.
CAUTIONS: CONTAINS ALIPHATIC HYDROCARBONS.
Contents are COMBUSTIBLE. Keep away from heat and open flame.
VAPOR HARMFUL. Use only with adequate ventilation. To avoid overexposure, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches, or dizziness, increase fresh air, or wear respiratory protection (NIOSH approved) or leave the area. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash hands after using. Keep container closed when not in use. Do not transfer contents to other containers for storage.
FIRST AID: In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with large amounts of water for 15 minutes and get medical attention. For skin contact, wash thoroughly with soap and water. In case of respiratory difficulty, provide fresh air and call physician. If swallowed, call Poison Control Center, hospital emergency room, or physician immediately.
DELAYED EFFECTS FROM LONG TERM OVEREXPOSURE. Contains solvents which can cause permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents can be harmful or fatal.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
CONFORMS TO ASTM D-4236. Contact a physician for more health information.
Maximum VOC ≤ 550 g/L(4.6 lb/gal) as per 40 CFR 59.406.
Non-Photochemically Reactive. Do not thin.
The colors shown are for reference purposes only. They have been reproduced using digital production techniques. Always test stain on a hidden area of the wood to verify desired color.
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT MAKES MINWAX® PRO SERIES MULTI-SURFACE WIPING STAIN DIFFERENT FROM TRADITIONAL STAINS SUCH AS MINWAX® WOOD FINISH™?
Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain is a premium, high performance stain specially designed to give you full control over the staining process and help you achieve beautiful results on a variety of surfaces including wood, veneer, fiberglass and metal. This professional, gelled formula offers rich, uniform color and makes application easy on both interior and exterior projects.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF USING MINWAX® PRO SERIES MULTI-SURFACE WIPING STAIN?
Pro Series Wiping Stain is a gelled non-drip formula, which makes it an outstanding choice for vertical wood substrates. This product is also versatile, and can be applied to veneer, plywood, fiberglass, molded fiberboard, and metal. The Pro Series product family is great for the customer looking to purchase a stain “system” in one convenient location, looking for a product that can be applied to different substrates, and can be used on both interior and exterior projects.
SHOULD MINWAX® PRE-STAIN WOOD CONDITIONER BE USED PRIOR TO APPLYING MINWAX® PRO SERIES MULTI-SURFACE WIPING STAIN?
Yes. Some woods, such as pine and maple, tend to absorb stains unevenly. Before using Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain, apply Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner should be applied to ensure even stain penetration
WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO APPLY MINWAX® PRO SERIES MULTI-SURFACE WIPING STAIN ON A FIBERGLASS DOOR?
Fiberglass is non-porous and won't absorb the stain the way a wood surface does. So, it's best to apply Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain with a bristle brush. Excess stain should be evened out with the brush - not wiped away with a rag. See application instructions tab for directions.
Safety Data Sheet
We Also Suggest
Here are some additional products and tips to explore.
A Not Just For Wood
Use Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain to add color to metal or fiberglass doors, applying it in thin, even strokes using the tip of a quality, natural bristle brush.