Forums

Search  
  Forum Topics  | Recent Topics  | Unanswered Topics

Quick Go »

Topic Status: Active
Total posts in this topic: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Author
Previous Topic This topic has been viewed 3507 times and has 2 replies Next Topic
zboys3
Richmond Hill, Ontario, CANADA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Staining over Wood Glue

I'm having a very hard time staining over wood glue. It has been sand totally off and yet where there was glue it is much lighter than the oak. If I were to sand it all done again, and then shellac where the glue is, could I then stain again to get a consistent stain?

Any thoughts on how to get consistent stain colour with the oak and the glue?
----------------------------------------
zboys3mom
[Sep 01, 2006 10:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HowardAcheson
Southport, NC
Staining over Wood Glue

You can not get stain to work over glue. The glue seals the pores preventing the penetration of the stain. YOu must thoroughly sand all the glue off. To test how you are doing, wipe the area with mineral spirits. This will highlight the glue blobs. Sand until they are gone.
Howie............
[Sep 01, 2006 04:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
viron
Cocoa, FL
Staining over Wood Glue

Obviously the trick is to not to use too much glue. Having said that the best thing to do with glue once it gets on the wood is to let it dry thoroughly. After it is completely dry remove it with a sharp chisel or wood plane. Sanding tends to push the glue back into to the wood and smear it around, so you end up losing more wood when sanding.
Have Fun
[Sep 05, 2006 05:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Topic  Post new Topic