Forums

Search  
  Forum Topics  | Recent Topics  | Unanswered Topics

Quick Go »

Topic Status: Active
Total posts in this topic: 4
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Author
Previous Topic This topic has been viewed 1922 times and has 3 replies Next Topic
mary7529
plano, tx
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
How many coats of poly on kitchen cabinets?

How many coats of polyurethane should I apply to kitchen cabinets for maximum durability and can I thin each coat by 20-30% as I've found thinning makes no to minimum bubbles?
[Mar 29, 2007 05:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HowardAcheson
Southport, NC

At minumum, I recommend the first coat be thinned 25-30% with mineral spirits and subsequent coats thinned about 10% with mineral spirits. At least three coats should be applied but a fourth will greatly add to the long term durability.
----------------------------------------
Howie............
[Mar 30, 2007 06:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
mary7529
plano, tx

Thank you for your response Howie. As you know, from previous posts, I've stained a white, opted for polyurethane for durability but looking at my test pieces tonight saw major "yellowing/ambering". I've decided to switch to water-based varathane as I don't want the cabinets looking like the old worn ones after all this work. I've gone with the "floor" water-based Varathane...3 coats still good enough or do I have to go for four coats. Thank you for all your help.
[Mar 30, 2007 05:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HowardAcheson
Southport, NC

First, if you are using a waterborne finish, DO NOT THIN IT ANY MORE THAN RECOMMENDED IN THE LABEL INSTRUCTIONS. If the instruction do not speak to thinning, then don't thin it at all. Waterborne finishes are a very differnent technology from oil based finishes. The water in waterborne finish is just a "carrier" of other chemicals. The water keeps them separated until the water evaporates. When the water evaporates it allows the other chemicals to come into contact and form a film. If you add water, you can cause too much separation and the chemicals will not come into contact. When this happens, no true film is created.

That said, I would go with four coats of waterborne for a kitchen application.
----------------------------------------
Howie............
[Mar 31, 2007 05:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Topic  Post new Topic