Forums

Search  
  Forum Topics  | Recent Topics  | Unanswered Topics

Quick Go »

Topic Status: Active
Total posts in this topic: 14
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Author
Previous Topic This topic has been viewed 6475 times and has 13 replies Next Topic
germaneighter
tulsa, ok
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Stain will not dry

I am a novice woodworker. I recently installed new cherry kitchen cabinets. There is an existing bookshelf that was stained with a dark finish that we wanted to keep but it did not go with the cabinet color. I sanded it downto bare wood. It looks like poplar but again, I'm a novice. Minwax Red Mahogony looked like a very close match. I used a rag to apply the stain. I did not wipe the stain off. (I have looked at other posts with similar problems...) After (8) hours I applied a second coat with a brush. The color was getting close but after (3) days it is still tacky. I have had the fan on it for (3) days and it does not seem to make any difference.

If I wipe it down with mineral spirits I'm affraid it will be much too light. How will I get the dark color I need and get the stain to dry? Can I use heat lamps?

It seems a lot of people have had the same problem with the red mahogany stain.

Thanks,
Dave
[Jun 01, 2005 07:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HowardAcheson
Southport, NC
Stain will not dry

It is a continually wonderment that so many folks have the same problem. They apply the finish without following the directions that the manufacturer spends lots of time testing and developing and then wonder why they run into problems.

That said, oil based stains require wiping. They contain little resin and without wiping, they dry very, very slowly. You will also probably find that applying a topcoat will cause the color to run into the the top color creating a muddly look.

The choices are to just take the time to let it dry--it will eventually. Or, use 4/0 steel wool and mineral spirits to wipe down the whole surface. This will remove the excess stain and everything should dry.

If it is not the proper color, then you need to choose a different stain.
----------------------------------------
Howie............
[Jun 02, 2005 09:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sparsonsusa
Castro Valley, CA
Stain will not dry

What would you do in this situation:
50 year old red oak floor, sanded, but not bare. Stain applied, not according to directions, and 4 days later, still wet.
Since the wood wasn't sanded bare, I realize we used the wrong product or the floor wasn't prepared correctly.
So, must question is, how do we fix it? Sand the hell out of it?
Thanks,
Scott
[Jun 02, 2005 10:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HowardAcheson
Southport, NC
Stain will not dry

First, I would wipe off the floor using mineral spirits and 3/0 steel wool to remove the non-dried stain. Then I would either get a professional floor finisher in or rent a commercial floor sander. Sand down to bare wood and then start over. Stains do not work well unless they are applied to virgin wood.

Test your finish plans on an inconspicuous spot (in closet, under a rug, etc) so that you can see how the floor will look.
Howie............
[Jun 03, 2005 05:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
stich

Stain will not dry

At this point I would probabley use Acetone to remove the excess. It is stronger and will make it easier to remove. I would also finish wiping with a cloth, not steelwool. Wipe till you can get no color back on your rag. This will let you know that you have gotton all of the excess stain off. I would definatley remove it. If you let it dry there is a very high chance that you will have problems with your topcoat.

After wiping it will look lighter So when you reapply be sure to wipe off everything that did not sink into the wood after about 10 minutes. Work in small areas so you can get it all after about 10 minutes. Repeat to darken.

Text
[Jun 03, 2005 11:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sparsonsusa
Castro Valley, CA
Stain will not dry

Howie,
Thank you for your response. We are working with a professional floor finisher, believe it or not. We paid extra for two days of sanding, too. We are so f'd.
I'm heading to the home improvement store now to buy 20 gallons of mineral spirts. We have 1500 sq. ft to strip now.
Thanks again,
Scott
[Jun 03, 2005 11:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
sparsonsusa
Castro Valley, CA
Stain will not dry

Thanks Stitch,
I already bought the mineral spirits before I read your post. Minwax suggested that's what I should use, so even though we haven't been following any directions, I'm going to now. :)
I did get a bag of low-lint cloth and 0000 steel wool, just in case. We'll rub until we can't rub any more and see what it looks like.
We are meeting with the floor contractor, who is at a loss, tonight to discuss options. He thinks it's the 50 year old wood not taking the stain. I think it wasn't sanded to bare wood.
Thanks,
Scott
[Jun 03, 2005 12:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
HowardAcheson
Southport, NC
Stain will not dry

Scott, on the oft chance that you may end up using a waterborne floor finish, I would like to change my recommendation about using steel wool. Rather, use a green scotchbrite non-woven abrasive. You can get these at most paint stores or big boxes. They will work as well as the steel wool.

Steel wool will produce metal shards that will stick in the wood. When you then coat the floor, you will end up with rust marks at each shard.
Howie............
[Jun 04, 2005 05:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
shortysport

Stain will not dry

I have tried to use minwax stains several different times over the years and it will stay sticky even if you follow directions to a Tee , my best advice to you is to buy either McCloskey stains or Benjamin Moore stains , they dry much faster , even if you just paint it on with no wiping ,
[Jun 11, 2005 05:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
peachbear

Stain will not dry

Howie said:
It is a continually wonderment that so many folks have the same problem. They apply the finish without following the directions that the manufacturer spends lots of time testing and developing and then wonder why they run into problems.

Well, i take offense to this remark. Do you know WHY people do this. it does not say in the directions that the stain MUST be wiped off. What it does say is "the longer the stain remains on the wood surface, the darker it will be come" well guess what? I LOVED the color of the stain when I put it on BEFORE i wiped it off. SO, i assumed since it said leave it on longer if I just "left it on" it would give me the color that I wanted. I think someone should take out a law suite against MinWax for not putting IN THE DIRECTIONS that it must be wiped off. I found out afterward because I went to their web site and the question of WHY IT MUST BE WIPED OFF was answered there. Thanks MinWax for making me have to redo my floors again.
[Jan 03, 2006 02:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Show Printable Version of Topic  Post new Topic