Minwax® Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane combines superior durability and the warm look of traditional polyurethane with the convenience of a water-based finish.
- Lower in odor than traditional solvent-based polyurethanes.
- Protects and adds beauty to interior wood surfaces including woodwork, furniture, doors, cabinets and floors.
- Dries quickly.
- Cleans up easily with warm water.
|Sheens:||gloss, semi-gloss, satin|
|Application Tool:||synthetic bristle brush, foam brush, or lambswool applicator|
|Location:||interior wood surfaces|
|Recoat:||after 2 hours|
|Dry Time:||24 hours before light use|
|Coverage:||125 square feet per quart|
|VOC Content:||Maximum VOC of 275 g/L|
|Recommended Uses:||woodwork, furniture, doors, cabinets, floors|
Directions Instrucciones en Español
Interior Use Only
WARNING! Removal of old paint by sanding, scraping or other means may generate dust or fumes that contain lead. Exposure to lead dust or fumes may cause brain damage or other adverse health effects, especially in children or pregnant women. Controlling exposure to lead or other hazardous substances requires the use of proper protective equipment such as a properly fitted respirator (NIOSH approved) and proper containment and cleanup. For more information, call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (in US) or contact your local health authority.
For project application:
- Surface must be dry and free of old finishes in poor condition, paint, wax, grease, polish, dirt or other foreign matter.
- Sand to obtain a smooth, uniform surface. Do not use steel wool. Remove all sanding dust. Thoroughly wipe clean with a damp cloth. Allow to dry completely.
- If desired, apply Minwax® Wood Finish™ or Minwax® Gel Stain to unfinished wood surfaces. Follow directions for application instructions and dry times. Wait 8 hours after staining, before applying Oil-Modified Polyurethane.
- Stir Oil-Modified Polyurethane before and during use to eliminate settling on the bottom of the can. Stir to rotate the product from the bottom to the top of the can. NEVER SHAKE.
- Apply a THIN coat of Oil-Modified Polyurethane using a high quality synthetic bristle or foam brush.
- Let dry 2 hours. Then lightly sand entire surface with fine sandpaper (220 grit) to ensure an even finish and proper adhesion. Remove all dust.
- Apply a second coat. Oil-Modified Polyurethane requires a third coat; repeat step 6 before application.
- After final coat, allow 24 hours before light use.
When used on hardwood floors, use a lambswool or synthetic pad applicator or a synthetic bristle brush and maintain a wet edge to avoid lap marks. For maximum durability, three coats are required. Avoid heavy traffic and replacing of furniture for 72 hours after the final coat. When replacing furniture, do not slide. Do not install rugs or clean floors for 7 days.
CLEANUP: Clean application tools with warm water immediately after use.
COVERAGE: Approximately 125 square feet per quart.
Storage Store at room temperature. Keep from freezing.
For Wood Substrates Only.
Note: Above dry times and coverage rates are based on good ventilation, temperature of 77F and 50% relative humidity. Lower temperature, higher humidity, lack of ventilation or application of thick coats will extend dry time. Always test tackiness between coats. Do not sand or re-coat when surface is tacky. Slight ambering may be experienced when polyurethane is applied over light-colored wood surfaces. Always spot test on an inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results. For light-colored wood surfaces, we recommend protecting with Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish. For light-colored hardwood floors where a crystal clear finish is preferred, we recommend Minwax® Ultimate Floor Finish.
CAUTIONS: CONTAINS DIMENTHYLETHANOLAMINE AND 1-METHYL-2-PYRROLIDONE. CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT MAY CAUSE REPRODUCTIVE EFFECTS AND MAY ADVERSELY AFFECT THE DEVELOPING FETUS BASED ON ANIMAL DATA.
Use only with adequate ventilation. To avoid overexposure, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches, or dizziness, increase fresh air, or wear respiratory protection (NIOSH approved) or leave the area. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash hands after using. Keep container closed when not in use. Do not transfer contents to other containers for storage.
FIRST AID: In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with large amounts of water. Get medical attention if irritation persists. If swallowed, call Poison Control Center, hospital emergency room, or physician immediately.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I use Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane?
Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane is ideal for use on all interior bare or stained wood surfaces including furniture, cabinets, doors and floors. It can be applied over oil-based stains like Minwax® Wood Finish™ or Minwax® Gel Stain. It also can be applied over Minwax® Water Based Wood Stain wood tones, provided the stain has dried completely.
Can I mix Minwax® Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane with Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane?
No. The oil-based and water-based products are not compatible and they should not be mixed together. However, the results are the same—a beautiful, durable finish!
Can I apply Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane over Fast-Drying Polyurethane or vice versa?
Yes. The two products can be applied over each other as long as the first has fully cured. Follow the directions for the product you are using. Be sure to apply each coat with only one product. Do not finish part of a surface with one topcoat and part with the other as this could result in a uneven appearance across the surface of the wood.
We Also Suggest
Here are some additional products and tips to explore.
Clear finishes need to be stirred before using. To make sure you don't have to use a dirty screwdriver, buy an inexpensive bag of wooden craft sticks at a local craft store and keep them on hand.