Minwax Color Wash is a water-based, transparent layering stain that adds a touch of age and character to bare and already-stained wood. Layer over any oil- or water-based stain for extra depth and interest. Ideal for small projects, furniture, cabinets, doors and trim.
- Adds a touch or age & character to bare or already stained wood.
- Apply over oil or water-based stain with a synthetic or foam brush, stain pad or rag.
- Dries in 1 hour.
- Waterbased formula cleans up with soap and water.
- Available in 3 beautiful colors.
- NOT RECOMMENDED FOR LARGE SURFACES, SUCH AS FLOORS.
|Application Tool:||Synthetic foam, foam brush, or rag|
|Location:||interior wood surfaces|
|Dry Time:||1 hour|
|Cleanup:||Soap & Water|
|Coverage:||100 sq. ft. per quart|
|Coats:||One Coat color. To intensify color, a second coat may be added.|
|Recommended Uses:||Ideal for small projects, furniture, cabinets, doors and trim|
- Apply to bare/stripped wood OR already-stained wood.
- When starting with bare wood, make sure its clean and dry. For best results, start with a medium-grit sand paper and increase the grit as you go, finishing with #220 as final sand. Remove sanding dust.
- When starting with stained wood, make sure it’s clean and dry and does not have a protective topcoat finish.
- Test before staining on a hidden spot to make sure you like the color.
- Stir stain well before and occasionally during staining. Don’t shake or thin stain.
- Apply stain against the wood grain.
- Immediately (less than 2 minutes), remove excess stain, for best results remove by wiping against the wood grain.
- If happy with the color, let dry completely before applying a protective topcoat. To intensify color, recoat after 1-2 hours, repeating directions for application of first coat. Do NOT sand between coats.
- Not recommended for large surfaces like floors due to fast dry time. Use Minwax® Wood Finish™ Penetrating Oil Stain for large projects.
- Finish every project with a clear protective topcoat like Minwax® Polycrylic Protective Finish.
Clean up: Soap & Water
Coverage: 100 sq. ft.
Use only with adequate ventilation. To avoid overexposure, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches, or dizziness, increase fresh air, or wear respiratory protection (NIOSH approved) or leave the area. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash hands after using. Keep container closed when not in use. Do not transfer contents to other containers for storage.
FIRST AID: In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with large amounts of water. Get medical attentional if irritation persists. If swallowed, call Poison Control Center, hospital emergency room, or physician immediately.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
CONFORMS TO ASTM D-4236. Contact a physician for more health information.
The colors shown are for reference purposes only. They have been reproduced using digital production techniques. Always test stain on a hidden area of the wood to verify desired color.
Frequently Asked Questions
WHAT IS A COLOR WASH?
It is a Water Based Wood Stain that adds a subtle shade of color to wood while allowing the natural grain to show through. Unlike the other Water Based products: Clear and White Tint Bases, the color washes do not require tinting and is ready to use right out of the can. Minwax Design Series Color wash can be applied over oil, such a Minwax® Wood Finish™ stain or Minwax®water-based stain.
HOW LONG SHOULD MINWAX® WATER BASED WOOD STAIN BE LEFT ON WOOD?
Water-based stains dries very quickly. It should be allowed to penetrate no more than two minutes before wiping away the excess.
SHOULD MINWAX® DESIGN SERIES COLOR WASH BE USED ON FLOORS?
No. Water-based stains dry very quickly, making them difficult to apply evenly over large surfaces. For very large areas such as floors, we recommend an oil-based product such as Minwax® Wood Finish™ stain.
WHICH CLEAR PROTECTIVE FINISH SHOULD BE USED OVER MINWAX® DESIGN SERIES COLOR WASH?
We recommend Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish for a crystal-clear finish that will not alter the appearance of the stain color. For a warmer, slightly amber finish over wood tones, Minwax® Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane is recommended.