Minwax® Wood Finish™ Aerosol is a penetrating oil-based wood stain, which provides beautiful rich color that enhances the natural wood grain. It applies easily and penetrates deep into the pores of the wood.
- Available in 9 wood tone colors.
- Easy-to-use aerosol spray can be used to add beauty to any bare or stripped wood surface.
- It is ideal for staining furniture, cabinets, doors, trim, accessories and molding.
|Location:||interior wood surfaces|
|Dry Time:||8 hours|
|Coverage:||25 sq. ft. per can|
|Coats:||1 coat. For richer and darker color, additional coats may be applied.|
|Recommended Uses:||wood furniture, woodwork, doors, floors, cabinets, accessories|
Directions Instrucciones en Español
FOR INTERIOR USE ONLY
WARNING! If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. Contact the National Lead Information Hotline at (800) 424-LEAD or www.epa.gov/lead.
- Surface must be dry, clean, and free of dirt, grease, glue, and existing coatings before staining.
- Sand the wood in the direction of the grain using fine-grade sandpaper (#220) until smooth.
- Remove all sanding dust.
- To ensure uniform acceptance of stain color and beautiful results, pretreat the wood with Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner following label directions.
- Shake can vigorously.
- Always test stain on an inconspicuous area of the wood to verify desired color.
- Hold can vertically 10-12 inches from the surface, depress nozzle fully and liberally apply Minwax® Wood Finish™ stain. Always protect adjacent areas from overspray.
- Allow the stain to penetrate 5-15 minutes to achieve desired color. The more time the stain is allowed to penetrate, the richer and darker the color will be.
- Remove stain that has not absorbed into the wood with a clean cloth. Wipe in the direction of the grain, while blending light and dark areas to obtain uniform color. DO NOT ALLOW STAIN THAT HAS NOT PENETRATED INTO THE WOOD TO DRY ON THE WOOD SURFACE.
- To darken the color, apply a second coat after 4-6 hours, repeating directions above. DO NOT SAND BETWEEN COATS OF STAIN.
Clear Finish Application:
Allow stain to dry for a minimum of 8 hours (dry time may be extended due to high humidity, low temperatures, or inadequate ventilation). Complete your project by applying a Minwax® clear protective finish, following label directions.
- Recommended finishes include Minwax® Fast-Drying Polyurethane or Helmsman® Spar Urethane. Slight ambering may occur when these clear finishes are applied over light-colored stains. Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish is also recommended, especially over light-colored stains. Polycrylic® should NOT be used over any Red Mahogany stain.
- Always spot test on an inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results.
COVERAGE: Approximately 25 square feet per quart.
CLEANUP: Use mineral spirits or paint thinner, following manufacturer's safety instructions.
NOZZLE CARE: After each use, clear valve by holding can upside down and spraying until only clear gas comes out. If spray button becomes clogged, wear eye protection, wipe off the button opening with lacquer thinner. DO NOT stick pins or wire into spray button opening.
DANGER: Rags, steel wool, other waste soaked with this product, and sanding residue may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately place rags, steel wool, other waste soaked with this product, and sanding residue in a sealed, water-filled, metal container. Dispose of in accordance with local fire regulations.
CAUTIONS: CONTAINS ALIPHATIC HYDROCARBONS.
DANGER! EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE. Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flame. Vapors will accumulate readily and may ignite explosively. Keep area ventilated during use and until all vapors are gone. DO NOT SMOKE- Extinguish all flames, pilot lights and heaters- Turn off stoves, electric tools and appliances, and any other sources of ignition. CONTENTS UNDER PRESSURE. Avoid prolonged exposure to sunlight or heat from radiators, stoves, hot water and other heat sources that may cause bursting. Do not puncture, incinerate, burn or store above 120°F. Keep upright in a cool, dry place. Do not discard empty can in trash compactor.
VAPOR HARMFUL. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid continuous breathing of vapor and spray mist. To avoid breathing vapors or spray mist, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches, or dizziness, increase fresh air or wear respiratory protection (NIOSH approved) or leave the area. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash hands after using.
FIRST AID: In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with large amounts of water for 15 minutes and get medical attention. For skin contact, wash thoroughly with soap and water. In case of respiratory difficulty, provide fresh air and call physician.
DELAYED EFFECTS FROM LONG TERM OVEREXPOSURE. Contains solvents which can cause permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents can be harmful or fatal.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
CONFORMS TO ASTM D-4236. Contact a physician for more health information.
The colors shown are for reference purposes only. They have been reproduced using digital production techniques. Always test stain on a hidden area of the wood to verify desired color.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long should I leave Minwax® Wood Finish™ on the wood?
Allow the stain to penetrate 5 to 15 minutes. The longer the stain is left on the wood, the deeper it will penetrate. For a light tint, just wipe the excess stain off after a few minutes; for deeper, richer color, wait as long as 15 minutes.
Why is it important to wipe off the excess stain?
The colorants in Minwax® Wood Finish™ are designed to be deposited in the wood pores, not on the surface of the wood. Any pigments allowed to remain on top of the wood will impair topcoat adhesion – causing the finish to peel.
Is it necessary to sand after the Minwax® Wood Finish™ has dried?
No. In fact, we advise against it. Sanding will result in the removal of some of the dyes and pigments in the stained wood. Since Minwax® Wood Finish™ does not raise the grain, no sanding is necessary before adding the clear protective finish.
Does Minwax® Wood Finish™ need to be topcoated?
Why don’t some woods match the colors on the Minwax® product brochures and samples?
Wood can vary in color and pore structure even within the same species. Because every piece of wood is unique, final stain color may vary. While our samples are tested for accuracy, it is always best to first test Minwax® Wood Finish™ on a small, inconspicuous area on the project.