See what’s possible, and then make it happen. Tag @minwaxusa on Instagram to have your project featured.
Removal of old paint by sanding, scraping or other means may generate dust or fumes that contain lead. Exposure to lead dust or fumes may cause brain damage or other adverse health effects, especially in children or pregnant women. Controlling exposure to lead or other hazardous substances requires the use of proper protective equipment such as a properly fitted respirator (NIOSH approved) and proper containment and cleanup. For more information, call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (in US) or contact your local health authority.
Start with bare/stripped wood that’s clean and dry.
Sand with #220-grit sandpaper in direction of the wood grain and remove sanding dust.
Apply Minwax® Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner — especially on soft woods — for best, even color.
Test before staining on a hidden spot to make sure you like the color.
Stir stain well before and occasionally during staining. Don’t shake or thin stain.
Wipe away excess stain, working with wood grain to blend lighter/darker areas together. The longer you wait, the darker/richer the color.
To darken color, recoat. Do NOT sand between coats. If happy with the color, let dry completely before applying a protective topcoat.
Finish every project with a clear protective topcoat like Minwax Fast-Dry Polyurethane or Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish.
DANGER: Rags, steel wool, other waste soaked with this product, and sanding residue may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately place rags, steel wool, other waste soaked with this product, and sanding residue in a sealed, water-filled, metal container. Dispose of in accordance with local fire regulations. CAUTIONS: CONTAINS ALIPHATIC HYDROCARBONS. Contents are COMBUSTIBLE. Keep away from heat and open flame. VAPOR HARMFUL. Use only with adequate ventilation. To avoid overexposure, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches, or dizziness, increase fresh air, or wear respiratory protection (NIOSH approved) or leave the area. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash hands after using. Keep container closed when not in use. Do not transfer contents to other containers for storage. FIRST AID: In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with large amounts of water for 15 minutes and get medical attention. For skin contact, wash thoroughly with soap and water. In case of respiratory difficulty, provide fresh air and call physician. If swallowed, call Poison Control Center, hospital emergency room, or physician immediately. DELAYED EFFECTS FROM LONG TERM OVEREXPOSURE. Contains solvents which can cause permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents can be harmful or fatal. WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN. CONFORMS TO ASTM D-4236. Contact a physician for more health information.