Minwax® Water Based Wood Stain is an easy way to add beautiful color to unfinished wood surfaces. Now available in 40 colors and 4 designer style color palettes.
- Soap and water cleanup.
- For beautiful results, use with Minwax® Water Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner.
- Colors are mixed at the paint counter of most home centers and hardware stores.
- NOT RECOMMENDED FOR LARGE SURFACES, SUCH AS FLOORS.
|Application Tool:||synthetic bristle brush, cloth, foam brush, staining pad or rag|
|Location:||interior wood surfaces|
|Recoat:||after 2 hours|
|Dry Time:||3 hours|
|Cleanup:||soap and water|
|Coverage:||100 sq. ft. per quart|
|Coats:||1 coat. To darken the color, apply a second coat after 2 hours.|
|Recommended Uses:||unfinished wood furniture, cabinets, doors, trim, molding and accessories|
DirectionsInstrucciones en Español
(Interior Use Only)
Product Not Recommended For Use On Hardwood Floors
WARNING! Removal of old paint by sanding, scraping or other means may generate dust or fumes that contain lead. Exposure to lead dust or fumes may cause brain damage or other adverse health effects, especially in children or pregnant women. Controlling exposure to lead or other hazardous substances requires the use of proper protective equipment such as a properly fitted respirator (NIOSH approved) and proper containment and cleanup. For more information, call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (in US) or contact your local health authority.
NOTE: Minwax® Water Based Wood Stain is NOT RECOMMENDED FOR USE ON FLOORS.
- Surface must be dry, clean, and free of dirt, grease, glue and any existing coatings before staining.
- Sand the wood in the direction of the grain, first using medium-grade sandpaper (#120) working your way to fine-grade sandpaper (#220). Do NOT use steel wool. Remove all sanding dust.
- Apply Minwax® Water Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner and allow to penetrate 1-5 minutes. This will help ensure even stain color penetration and reduce grain raising on soft and hard woods. Remove excess with a clean cloth.
- For best results, wait 15-30 minutes before lightly sanding the surface with a fine-grade sandpaper. This will help smooth any raised grain. Remove all sanding dust.
Product Preparation and Color Testing:
- Stir the stain thoroughly before and occasionally during use. Do not apply when temperature is below 55 F. Do not thin.
- Always test stain on a scrap piece or hidden area of wood to verify desired color.
- When working with more than one can, we recommend mixing together the contents of the cans to ensure color consistency.
- Apply stain with a synthetic bristle brush, foam brush, staining pad or rag. Then, allow stain to penetrate no longer than 3 minutes.
- Remove stain that has not penetrated the wood with a clean cloth. Wipe in the direction of the grain using light to medium pressure to achieve even stain color.
- Note: For best results, do not allow cloth to become saturated with stain. Replace with a clean cloth as necessary. DO NOT ALLOW STAIN THAT HAS NOT PENETRATED THE WOOD TO DRY ON THE WOOD SURFACE.
- Note: Any uneven color penetration can be blended. Rewet the surface with more stain and lightly rub the stain into the surface, blending light and dark areas.
- To darken color, apply a second coat after 2 hours, repeating the directions for application of the first coat. Do not sand between coats.
Clear Finish Application:
- After a minimum of 3 hours (dry time may be extended due to heavy application, low temperatures or high humidity), complete your project by applying a clear protective finish such as Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish or Minwax® Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane.
Note: Minwax® Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane will amber slightly and may change the final look of the stain. Spot test on an inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results.
COVERAGE: Approximately 100 sq. ft. per quart.
CLEANUP: Use soap and water.
Use only with adequate ventilation. To avoid overexposure, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches, or dizziness, increase fresh air, or wear respiratory protection (NIOSH approved) or leave the area. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash hands after using. Keep container closed when not in use. Do not transfer contents to other containers for storage.
FIRST AID: In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with large amounts of water. Get medical attentional if irritation persists. If swallowed, call Poison Control Center, hospital emergency room, or physician immediately.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
CONFORMS TO ASTM D-4236. Contact a physician for more health information.
The colors shown are for reference purposes only. They have been reproduced using digital production techniques. Always test stain on a hidden area of the wood to verify desired color.
Bright & BoldLooking to add a splash of color to your home? The Bright & Bold Color Palette offers an array of colors that resemble the perfect rainbow. Choose from 12 colors that will bring vibrancy into any room and will surely make you smile!
Nothing brings warmth into a home more than the look of natural wood. No matter what your style is – modern to vintage chic, add a touch of elegance to any room with the timeless beauty of wood. Revive your favorite piece or recycle your flea market find by choosing from these 16 wood tone colors in the Classics Color Palette.
Today’s cottage style is all about soft colors with a modern rustic feel. Cottage homes are known for their charm, relaxing vibes and unique mix of new and antique treasures. Transform your home into a cottage oasis by refreshing your favorite piece of furniture with one of these six colors in the Cottage Color Palette.
Sea & Sky
Bring coastal living into your home with the Sea & Sky Color Palette. Shades of blue, white and grays evoke a sense of tranquility and calmness synonymous with seaside living. Create an ocean retreat by refinishing your favorite table or chair with one of these six colors.
Colors with an asterisk(*) are made with the white tint base; all other colors are made with clear tint base.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the advantage to using a water-based stain?
Water-based stains dry quickly and clean up with soap and water. Projects can often be completed in one day.
Will Minwax® Water Based Wood Stain raise the grain of the wood?
As long as Minwax® Water Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner is used prior to staining, Water Based Wood Stain will not raise the wood grain.
How long should Minwax® Water Based Wood Stain be left on wood?
Water-based stain dries very quickly. It should be allowed to penetrate no more than three minutes before wiping away the excess.
Should Minwax® Water Based Wood Stain be used on floors?
No. Water-based stains dry very quickly, making them difficult to apply evenly over large surfaces. For very large areas such as floors, we recommend an oil-based product such as Minwax® Wood Finish™ stain.
What is a tint base?
Minwax® Water Based Wood Stain comes in two tint bases—Clear Tint Base and White Tint Base—that are used to make 40 different stain colors. A tint base is brought to the paint counter at the home center or hardware store for color mixing, similar to the way paint is mixed.
What is White Wash Pickling Stain?
It is a Water Based Wood Stain that adds a subtle shade of white color to wood while allowing the natural grain to show through. Unlike the Clear and White Tint Bases, the White Wash Pickling Stain does not require mixing and is ready to use right out of the can.
Which clear protective finish should be used over Minwax® Water Based Wood Stain?
We recommend Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish for a crystal-clear finish that will not alter the appearance of the stain color. For a warmer, slightly amber finish over wood tones, Minwax® Water Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane is recommeded.
We Also Suggest
Here are some additional products and tips to explore.
Work in Small Sections!
Since water based stains dry faster than traditional oil-based stains, work in small sections, only applying as much stain as you can wipe off one to three minutes later.