Minwax Wood Finish Semi-Transparent Color Stain is a penetrating, water-based stain that opens up a world of possibilities with 200+ tintable color options in just one wood-grain-enhancing coat.
- One coat color
- Dries in 1 hour
- 5x thicker for easier application*
- Color that showcases wood grain.
*when compared to traditional oil-based stains
|Application Tool:||Clean rag or synthetic brush|
|Recoat:||One Coat color. To intensify color, a second coat may be added.|
|Dry Time:||1 hour|
|Cleanup:||Soap & Water|
|Coverage:||100 sq feet|
|Coats:||One Coat color. To intensify color, a second coat may be added.|
|Recommended Uses:||Ideal for small projects, unfinished furniture, cabinets, doors and trim. Not for use on floors.|
|Availability:||Available in all 50 states|
|Colors:||Tintable to 200+ colors|
- Start with bare or stripped wood that’s clean and dry.
- For best results, start with a medium grit sandpaper, and increase the grit as you go, finishing with #220 as final sand. Remove sanding dust.
- Apply Minwax® Water-Based Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner – especially on soft woods – for best, even color.
- Pre-test color on a hidden spot to make sure you like it.
- Stir stain well before and occasionally during staining. Don’t shake or thin stain.
- For best results, apply in the direction of the grain.
- Wipe away excess stain immediately (within 2 minutes) after application, working with the wood grain to blend lighter/darker areas.
- If happy with color, let dry completely, then apply a protective topcoat. To intensify color, recoat in 1-2 hours and do NOT sand between coats.
- Not recommended for large surfaces like floors due to fast dry time. Use Minwax® Wood Finish Penetrating Oil Stain for large projects.
Tintable Colors, Reds
Tintable Colors, Yellows
Tintable Colors, Greens
Tintable Colors, Blues
Tintable Colors, Browns
Tintable Colors, Grays
Tintable Colors, Pastels
Frequently Asked Questions
How is this different from the Minwax® Waterbased Wood Stain?
Minwax Wood Finish Color Stain is 5x thicker for easier application control and less mess. It is available in three grab-&-go colors, and is tintable to 200+ colors, vs. the 40+ in Waterbased Wood Stain.
I really like the Bombay Mahogany color in Minwax® Gel Stain, but I don't see it anywhere else, and I don't want to use Gel Stain. Can I have it tinted in Wood Finish Color Stain?
Yes! You can tint any Minwax color in Wood Finish Color Stain!
We Also Suggest
Here are some additional products and tips to explore.
Work in Small Sections!
Since water based stains dry faster than traditional oil-based stains, work in small sections, only applying as much stain as you can wipe off one to three minutes later.