Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane is a professional, water-based, crystal clear protective finish that forms a protective barrier against rain, moisture and sunlight.
- When used over Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain, it can be applied on a wide array of substrates such as wood, metal and fiberglass.
- Contains enhanced ultraviolet absorbers to reduce the sun's graying and fading effects.
- Special oils allow the finish to expand and contract with the wood as seasons, temperatures and humidity change.
- Ideal for use on doors, windows, trim, bathroom cabinets, bar tops, kitchen countertops, outdoor furniture.
- Crystal clear finish is ideal for use over light-colored woods and stains.
- Its superior formula allows for a two hour dry time and a rapid recoat.
- Cleans up easily with soap and warm water.
|Sheens:||gloss, semi-gloss, satin|
|Application Tool:||synthetic bristle brush|
|Location:||interior and exterior wood surfaces, multiple surfaces when used with Pro Series Wiping Stain|
|Recoat:||after 2 hours|
|Dry Time:||24 hours before normal use|
|Coverage:||125 sq. ft. per quart|
|VOC Content:||Maximum VOC of 275 g/L|
|Recommended Uses:||Use with Pro Series Wiping Stain. Doors, windows, trim, bathroom cabinets, bar tops, kitchen countertops, outdoor furniture, not recommended for floors|
DirectionsInstrucciones en Español
WARNING! Removal of old paint by sanding, scraping or other means may generate dust or fumes that contain lead. Exposure to lead dust or fumes may cause brain damage or other adverse health effects, especially in children or pregnant women. Controlling exposure to lead or other hazerdous substances requires the use of proper protective equipment such as a properly fitted respirator (NIOSH approved) and proper containment and cleanup. For more information, call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (in US) or contact your local health authority.
- Surface must be dry and free of paint, wax, grease, polish, old finishes in poor condition or any foreign matter.
- Sand to obtain a smooth, uniform surface. Do not use steel wool. Remove all dust with a damp cloth.
- If desired, apply stain, such as Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain or Minwax® Wood Finish™. Follow directions for application instructions and dry times.
- Stir well before and occasionally during use.
- Apply a thin coat of Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane using a high quality synthetic bristle brush. On unfinished wood, apply sufficient material to seal open joints, edges and end-grain.
- Let dry at least two hours, then sand entire surface lightly with very fine sandpaper (220 grit) to ensure an even finish and proper adhesion of additional coats. Do not use steel wool. Remove all dust.
- Apply a second coat. Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane requires a third coat. Repeat step 6 before application. Note: For exterior surfaces or for unstained wood, four coats are recommended.
- After final coat, allow 24 hours before normal use. If applied to coutertops, allow 72 hours before normal use.
CLEANUP: Clean application tools with warm water immediately after use.
COVERAGE: Approximately 500 sq. ft. per gallon.
Note: Dry times are based on good ventilation, temperature of 77°F and 50% relative humidity. Lower temperature, higher humidity, lack of air movement or application of thick coats will extend drying times. Always test surface for tackiness between coats. When used for exterior applications, maintain by lightly sanding and adding an additional coat(s) as conditions require.
Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane is not recommended for large exterior surfaces where maintenance would be difficult, such as decks and siding. Slight ambering may be experienced when Minwax® Pro Series Urethane is applied over light-colored stains or wood surfaces. Always spot test on an inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results.
CAUTIONS: CONTAINS 1-METHYL-2-PYRROLIDONE. CONTAINS MATERIAL THAT MAY CAUSE ADVERSE REPRODUCTIVE EFFECTS AND MAY ADVERSELY AFFECT THE DEVELOPING FETUS BASED ON ANIMAL DATA. Use only with adequate ventilation. To avoid overexposure, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches, or dizziness, increase fresh air, or wear respiratory protection (NIOSH approved) or leave the area.
Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash hands after using. Keep container closed when not in use. Do not transfer contents to other containers for storage.
FIRST AID: In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with large amounts of water for 15 minutes and get medical attention. For skin contact, wash thoroughly with soap and water. In case of respiratory difficulty, provide fresh air and call physician. If swallowed, call Poison Control Center, hospital emergency room, or physician immediately.
WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
Frequently Asked Questions
This product is called Pro Series, does it only benefit the professional consumer?
No, convenience, ease of application, and having a complete system are important to professionals and homeowners alike. This product was created to be used over the Minwax® Pro Series Multi-Surface Wiping Stain, so this is great for the customer looking to purchase a stain and protective clear coat in one convenient location.
What are the advantages of using Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane?
Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane has an incredible 2 hour dry time. This product has advanced technology that protects against ultraviolet rays, changes in temperature and humidity and rain and moisture. This product saves time and it can be used both indoors and outdoors. Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane can also be cleaned up with soap and water.
Can Minwax®Pro Series Spar Urethane be used on interior floors?
No. Pro Series Spar Urethane is formulated to expand and contract with temperature changes. Because it is flexible, it is not suitable for use on floors. Floors requires a harder fish such as Minwax® Ultimate Floor Finish, Minwax® Super Fast-Drying Polyurethane for Floors, or Minwax® Water-Based Oil-Modified Polyurethane.
Is Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane suitable for decks and fences?
No. Decks and fences have special requirements for protection against the elements. Use an exterior waterproofing product such as Thompson's WaterSeal® Waterproofer Plus Clear Wood Protector.
Does Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane amber like traditional oil-based polyurethanes?
No. Pro Series Spar Urethane is a non-ambering, crystal clear finish. Note that stains, paints and light colored coatings applied under Pro Series Spar Urethane may amber normally. Always spot test in an inconspicuous area to ensure satisfactory results.
We Also Suggest
Here are some additional products and tips to explore.
Work in Good Light
For best results, always work facing your strongest source of light. A clamp-on floodlight attached to your step ladder is an easy way to add extra lighting.
Seal all edges
Water damage to exterior doors almost always starts at the bottom. Be sure to seal the invisible bottom edge with coat of Minwax® Pro Series Spar Urethane every year.