Minwax® Performance Series Tintable Wood Stain is a rich, thick formula that provides a beautiful, long- lasting finish.
- Tintable in a wide array of colors for ultimate design flexibility.
- Minimal grain-raising of the wood, much better than water-based stain.
- Penetrates and seals bare wood and resists lap marks.
- Fast-Drying which allows recoating in 12 hours with most clear solvent-based varnish, polyurethane finishes and water-based finishes.
|Application Tool:||brush, pad, cloth|
|Location:||interior wood surfaces|
|Recoat:||12 hours for most clear solvent-based varnish and polyurethane finishes & 12 hours with water-based finishes|
|Dry Time:||8 hours|
|Coverage:||Approximately 50- 200 sq. ft. per qt.|
|VOC Content:||<550 g/L; 4.58 lb/ gal|
|Recommended Uses:||Trim, Molding, Doors, widows, paneling, railings, furniture, floors|
|Availability:||not available in California|
FOR INTERIOR USE ONLY.
WARNING! Removal of old paint by sanding, scraping or other means may generate dust or fumes that contain lead. Exposure to lead dust or fumes may cause brain damage or other adverse health effects, especially in children or pregnant women. Controlling exposure to lead or other hazardous substances requires the use of proper protective equipment, such as a properly fitted respirator (NIOSH approved) and proper containment and cleanup. For more information, call the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (in US) or contact your local health authority.
FOR WOOD PROJECTS SURFACE PREPARATION:
- Use on bare wood or over itself; wood should be cleaned of all dirt, grease, wax, polish, marks and old finishes in poor condition.
- Sand wood to a smooth surface using 100–120 grit sandpaper.
- Remove sanding dust with a vacuum or tack cloth.
- New wood should be stored inside for a minimum of 24 hours prior to staining. Stains and varnishes applied to wood that has not been dried thoroughly can exhibit blotching, discoloration or cracking.
- Stain colors can vary based on the type of wood, the method of application and the amount of stain applied. Test a sample piece or an inconspicuous area before staining the entire area.
- Be sure the temperature is above 50°F and the humidity is below 85%, otherwise a hazing of the film may result.
- Protect surrounding items with drop cloths, masking tape, etc.
- Stir stain thoroughly and occasionally during use.
- Apply without thinning, using brush, pad, cloth or spray.
- Let sit 5 to 15 minutes and wipe off excess; be sure color is uniform.
- The length of time before wiping determines the depth of the color developed. For a lighter shade, wipe quickly; for a darker shade, allow the stain to sit longer. You will have up to 15 minutes to work the stain to an even color. Laps or drips can usually be evened out by rewetting the surface with stain and rewiping.
- Some soft woods (such as pine, poplar and spruce) may have a “blotchy” appearance when stained (an uneven color, darker in some areas, lighter in others); sanded wood generally will appear less “blotchy”. To ensure uniform acceptance of stain color and beautiful results, pretreat the wood with Minwax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner following label directions.
This product can be used for graining — developing a wood grain appearance on metal, fiberglass, hardboard or other non-wood surfaces. Apply the stain and allow it to dry 10 to 15 minutes (depending on temperature and humidity). Follow Minwax guide on graining.
- Clean wet stain from hands and tools using mineral spirits. Follow manufacturer's safety recommendations when using mineral spirits. DANGER: Rags, steel wool, other waste soaked with this product and sanding residue may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately place rags, steel wool, other waste soaked with this product and sanding residue in a sealed, water-filled metal container. Dispose of in accordance with local fire regulations.
- For information on disposal of leftover material, contact your local waste disposal agency.
CAUTIONS: ALIPHATIC HYDROCARBONS..
Contents are COMBUSTIBLE. Keep away from heat and open flame.
VAPOR HARMFUL. Use only with adequate ventilation. To avoid overexposure, open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headaches or dizziness, increase fresh air, or wear respiratory protection (NIOSH approved) or leave the area. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash hands after using. Keep container closed when not in use. Do not transfer contents to other containers for storage.
FIRST AID: In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with large amounts of water for 15 minutes and get medical attention. For skin contact, wash thoroughly with soap and water. In case of respiratory difficulty, provide fresh air and call physician. If swallowed, call Poison Control Center, hospital emergency room, or physician immediately.
DELAYED EFFECTS FROM LONG TERM OVEREXPOSURE. Contains solvents which can cause permanent brain and nervous system damage. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling the contents can be harmful or fatal. WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY. KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
DANGER: Rags, steel wool, other waste soaked with this product and sanding residue may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately place rags, steel wool, other waste soaked with this product and sanding residue in a sealed, water-filled metal container. Dispose of in accordance with local fire regulations.
The colors shown are for reference purposes only. They have been reproduced using digital production techniques. Always test stain on a hidden area of the wood to verify desired color.